Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford EcoBoost Forum. Like most online communities, you must first please register to create a topic or reply to a post.

This is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford EcoBoost Owners Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

turning off

turbo oil idle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlano

dlano

New Ecoboost Member

• EcoBoost Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SHO

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone waits in park before turning their SHO off. People have told me to wait, people with older turbo cars. But I have also heard the F150 has a system so that you don't have to idle. I was told the purpose is to have the oil circulating while not under load to cool the coil because the tubos still spin for a second or two after the engine has been turned off. That its better to have cool oil running threw the turbos. I've been waitin ( have a smoke in park) then turn it off. Does not waiting have any effects on the turbos or is it a waste of time?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Carguy1981

Carguy1981

New Ecoboost Member

• EcoBoost Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

I found it a waste of time

#3 OFFLINE   kam

kam

New Ecoboost Member

• EcoBoost Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Yes, that is common with older turbo'd cars.  I believe the SHO has an automatic timer so you don't have to.

#4 OFFLINE   GRSMNKY

GRSMNKY

New Ecoboost Member

• EcoBoost Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 F150 XLT Supercrew Ecoboost 4x4

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

What I have read is that the cooling system is designed to allow coolant to "flow" into the turbo housings using the method of convection. This allows the turbo housing to cool when shut down after stopping to prevent the oil from coking in the bearings. As the hot coolant rises-cooler coolant is drawn in.